Obesity is seen as one of the major contributing factors to the development of insulin resistance in individuals with type-2 diabetes. In most cases, achieving ideal body weight is associated with the restoration of normal blood sugar levels. Hence dietary modifications and treatment are fundamental to the successful treatment of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
We have listed below few tips to guide you on how to consume fruits if you are diabetic.
- Diabetics should not eat cooked fruits always eat raw fruits to reap the benefits.
- Fruits with high glycemic index should be eaten only in moderation.
- Eat fruits with some nuts and olives to balance the glycemic load.
- Sprinkle fruits with cinnamon which is very helpful in balancing blood sugar levels.
- Always eat fruits that are fresh, local and in season.
- Eat fruits that have a low glycemic index.
- Fruits should not be eaten with your main meals, its best to have fruits in between meals and as a snack.
- Grind whole flaxseeds in a coffee grinder and sprinkle over fresh fruit to balance sugar levels.
- Never consume fruit juice as it’s robbed of all the fiber and would spike blood sugar levels.