Home Health Coronavirus In Nigeria Update: New COVID-19 Cases Confirmed, FG Reaction, NYSC camp...

Coronavirus In Nigeria Update: New COVID-19 Cases Confirmed, FG Reaction, NYSC camp Closed

290
0
SHARE

FG confirms 5 new cases of COVID-19 including 6 weeks old baby

The Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) on Wednesday, confirmed five new cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria within the last 36 hours, bringing a total number of confirmed cases in Nigeria to 8.

A nursing mother and her six-week-old child, amongst the fresh confirmed Coronavirus cases in Nigeria, came through Virgin Atlantic, says Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi.

The minister of health, Dr. Osagoe Ehanire explained that out of the five new positive cases 3 arrived from the United States, while 2 came in from the United Kingdom.

“We are still collating information on the travellers; 2 of the 3 from the US are Nigerian, a mother and child, making the 6 weeks old baby the youngest COVID-19 patient we have, and the 3rd is an American national, who crossed the land border and becomes the first COVID-19 case not arriving by air. ”

He said the two cases from the UK are Nigerians. “A detailed travel history of each person is being compiled and contacts currently being traced, to identify persons who have recently been in contact with anyone.

The National Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and supported by partners, is supporting response in the states, he said.

Continuing he said, The Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Health is conducting a risk assessment to help guide decision making. He urged citizens not to panic, but to allow experts in public health to guide response in a calculated, scientific manner.

“False information and rumour to cause fear and panic must be avoided at such times. The COVID-19 cases so far appear to have mild symptoms and are in recovery.”

He urged everyone to continue to take care and caution as advised. “Government will do the needful to protect citizens’ health.”

Lagos moves to stop Sunday, Juma’at services over Coronavirus

Lagos State will ask religious leaders to stop Friday (Juma’at) and Sunday service, the state Commissioner for Information, Mr Gbenga Omotosho, has said.

Omotosho at a briefing on Wednesday said the religious leaders will be advised to shut down services in the interest of the public.

He said this a few hours after Lagos recorded its seventh coronavirus case.

“We are all aware that the Federal Government asked the National Youth Service Corps to shut down orientation camps; yesterday (Tuesday) the Commissioner for Home Affairs said there will be a meeting with religious leaders today (Wednesday).

“It is going to be suggested to them to maybe stop Friday and Sunday services – wherever we have large gatherings.

“Going by the new development, I am sure they will be advised to shut down the services in the interest of the public and all of us. I am sure they are going to comply,” Omotosho said.

Corps members vacate NYSC camp over coronavirus

The Federal Government on Wednesday morning shut all orientation camps nationwide over Coronavirus fears.

The National Youth Service Corps on Wednesday ordered the closure of all camps across the country.

After the announcement, corps members were seen leaving the orientation camp in Kubuwa, Abuja.

No corper, official infected with Coronavirus – NYSC

The National Youth Service Corps said on Wednesday that none of its corp members or camp officials was infected with the novel Coronavirus.

Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, who made the announcement, had said, “Today across the country, NYSC orientation camps will be closed and corpers will be paid and sent to their places of primary assignment. This again is a precautionary measure on the part of the government to check the spread of COVID-19.”

NYSC management in a statement after the minister’s announcement stressed that the decision to shut its camps across the country was essentially out of precaution as none of its officials or corp members had contracted the virus.

The statement read, “Sequel to the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic which led to the cancellation of the National Sports Festival, the Management of the National Youth Service Corps Scheme wishes to announce the suspension of the on-going Orientation Course for the 2020 Batch “A” Stream 1 Corps Members.

“Therefore, the corp members shall be posted to commence their primary assignments forthwith, while they shall be invited back to the Orientation Camps when the situation improves, just like it happened a few years ago when the nation was confronted by Ebola virus.

“The Management wishes to state that no corp member or camp official has contracted the virus.”

Coronavirus: Brief Nigerians now, Senate tells Buhari

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.)

The Senate, on Wednesday, urged the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to “immediately” address the nation on the situation of the Coronavirus pandemic in Nigeria.

The red chamber said if the president addressed Nigerians, citizens and government agencies would be more serious in adhering to the preventive measures.

It also asked the Federal Government to take more drastic measures to contain the virus’ spread.

The Senate said the preventive measures should include restrictions on large gathering, tighter border control, and stringent screening of those coming into the country.

It also asked the government and Nigerians to keep abreast of development related to the pandemic.

The Senate asked the government to close down all international airports in Nigeria except Abuja and Lagos as well as suspend the issuance of visa on arrival.

It urged the Federal Government to quarantine Nigerians returning from countries that had recorded over 1,000 cases.

It demanded a Special Intervention Fund to be set aside to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

The resolutions followed a motion by Senator Danjuma Goje.

The Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, cautioned against being complacent.

He called for improved measures to be taken so as to prevent an uncontrollable outbreak of the disease in Nigeria.

He said, “Even if our environment is hostile to coronavirus, we need to be extremely careful. If we feel we are safe, it will lead us to complacency.”

Senator Oluremi Tinubu, in her contribution to the motion, said the outbreak of the disease should serve as a wake-up call for Nigerians to take personal hygiene seriously, adding that Nigerians should not go about in fear.

The Deputy Senate Leader, Senator Ajayi Boroffice, said because Nigeria’s borders are porous, foreign nationals now use the land borders as entry and exit route.

Senator Jibrin Barau advised authorities of churches and hotels to introduce the use of testers in identifying infected persons so as to control the spread of the dreaded disease.

The Deputy Chief Whip, Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi, said, “The issue at stake is one that calls for caution and proactive measures.

“There are people who are having the virus and the symptoms are not there.

“For us to deal with this matter, individual contribution is key. Those who have travelled to the epicenters of the disease are supposed to isolate themselves.

“If you look at our health facilities, it is not in the best of state. Countries with good health facilities are on lockdown,” the lawmaker added.

Senator Emmanuel Bwacha, said, “We (Nigerians) are the largest black nation in the world, and our borders are very porous.

“The dangers that this virus will bring upon us because of our policy will be very dangerous.

“Once they are not Nigerians, we should stop them at the border and ask them to return to where they are coming from.”

Senator George Sekibo said, “Even those that have the technology to solve the problem, the virus is still spreading without respecting any person.

“Let the Ministry of Health come with real standard on how to behave now.

“Our airports and seaports are still open, and we don’t have the pieces of equipment to fight it (Coronavirus).

“Let no one from this chamber travel out of here. Let us quarantine those coming from outside. Let us be more careful because we don’t have the resources to fight it (Coronavirus).”

Global Coronavirus infections shoot past 200,000

The new coronavirus has infected more than 200,000 globally since the beginning of the outbreak in December, according to an AFP tally Wednesday.

Nearly 200,680 people around the world have been infected, with more than 8,000 deaths, as of 1300 GMT Wednesday.

The tallies are calculated using data collected by AFP offices from national authorities and information from the World Health Organization. (AFP)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here