— Health Workers in Uganda swiftly respond to suspected Ebola case
Ugandan authorities on Tuesday quarantined 13 people, who picked up a body of suspected Ebola death in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), as hemorrhagic fever tests are carried out.
A dead man of 46 years had been living and working in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) for the last eight years. He developed Ebola-like symptoms and died on Friday 8th February 2019. He was first admitted in Bunia Hospital in November 2018, complaining of chest pain, and a cough sometimes with blood. His condition however deteriorated in the last week and until he died at Bunia Hospital. The hospital issued a medical certificate of death and released from the hospital mortuary to the relatives.
Thirteen people from Tororo went to collect the body and passed through Padea/Karombo border checkpoint in Zombo district and proceeded to Tororo. They used the certificate of death to cross the border and other checkpoints along the way. Their details have been collected and these individuals are currently separated from the rest of the community.
Emmanuel Ainebyoona, spokesperson for the ministry of health, told Xinhua by telephone on Tuesday that the health teams have already identified the victim, as well as the family and they are being held at a health centre in the district.
“The body is going to be buried by our health team after we have obtained all the samples to be taken to Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe to test for Ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers,’’ said Ainebyoona.
“The death certificate shows the deceased succumbed to a heart failure and chronic TB (Tuberculosis).
“But since he was working and staying in eastern DRC, we need to do all the necessary tests to rule out Ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers,’’ he said.