Home News ASUP Suspends 2 Months Strike, urges Members to Resume Work

ASUP Suspends 2 Months Strike, urges Members to Resume Work

82
0
SHARE

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics, ASUP, has, on Tuesday, 12th February, suspended the over two-months old strike it embarked upon since last year’s December 12 over the failure of the federal government to implement the agreements it reached with her in 2017.

Addressing journalists at the end of its emergency NEC meeting on Tuesday in Abuja, ASUP national president, Usman Dutse, directed members of the union to commence academic activities on Wednesday.

While briefing journalists, the national president of ASUP, Usman Dutse, said the request for a revitalisation fund of N15 billion had been met by the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu.

Also Read:  Education technology is a global opportunity | $8.15 billion staked in Chinese edtech companies

“It is expected that the funds shall be available for disbursement to deserving institutions by April 2019. Equally, the approval of the NEEDS ASSESSMENT report shall be pursued with all diligence to ensure a sustained intervention in the infrastructure and other needs of our institutions,” Mr Dutse said.

On salary shortfall, promotion arrears and allowances, Mr Dutse said the union ”was informed of the release of N16.7 billion covering agencies of government, including affected polytechnics cleared by the Presidential Initiative for Continuous Audit for shortfalls and promotion arrears”.

“A circular had also been released to all rectors conveying increased personnel funding for 2019 and directing the payment of full salaries and allowances in polytechnics. A schedule from the office of the Federal Ministry of Finance containing institutions contained in phase 1 of the shortfall refund payments has been released.

Also Read:  ASUU Strike: FG speaks on way forward

”Our union notes that 11 institutions from the sector are cleared to receive funds from the approved tranche. Our union has been reassured that the next phase will contain more institutions,” he said.

According to Mr Dutse, it was agreed that the documents currently before the Head of Civil Service of the Federation ”be retrieved, reviewed to address the concerns of our union and presented to the board of the NBTE before the end of March 2019 for approval”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here