Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will discuss a £45million move for Nikola Milenkovic with Manchester United chief Ed Woodward this week, reports say.
Solskjaer, who was named United’s caretaker boss until the end of the season following Jose Mourinho’s sacking, said on Friday he did not expect any January signings. But he will meet Woodward this week where the pair will discuss the market and specifically Fiorentina centre-back Milenkovic, according to The Sun.
Woodward is prepared to sanction moves if the right deal presents itself and Manchester United have been tracking Serbia defender Milenkovic extensively. The 21-year-old only arrived at Fiorentina last year from his boyhood club Partizan but is already rated as one of the most promising defenders in Serie A. Juventus and Atletico Madrid are also believed to be interested in signing Milenkovic but United could table an offer to solve a problem position in the team.
Mourinho was unhappy with his defensive options at Old Trafford and would have put pressure on Woodward to sign a quality defender this month if he had not been axed. Dimitar Berbatov has been critical of Manchester United’s defenders in the past but says the club do not need to enter the market in January because of the recent performances of Victor Lindelof and Phil Jones. ‘I have said in this column before that United need a new ball-playing centre-back,’ he told Betfair.
‘But the likes of Lindelof and Jones are now showing that they are more than capable of bringing the ball out so they don’t need anyone else. ‘Ole instead needs to focus on bringing the best out of the players already on the books and there have been some good signs there already. ‘Marcus Rashford is looking very sharp and even Alexis Sanchez joining the party at Newcastle with an excellent assist.’