Best Fifa Football Awards 2018: Luka Modric beats Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Mo Salah to be named men’s Best Player
Luka Modric was named Best Fifa Footballer of the Year in a London ceremony noted as much for the the players in absentia as the awards.
The Croatian beat Mohamed Salah and Cristiano Ronaldo to become the first player other than Ronaldo and Lionel Messi to win since Kaka in 2007.
Marta of Orlando Pride and Brazil picks up the Best Women’s Player award.
The 32-year-old has 110 goals in 133 games for Brazil and has long been considered the best player in the women’s game.
She was runner up in 2016 and has now finally won the award.
She has won the FIFA World Player of the year five times, been runner up four times and third twice.
The FIFA Best Awards covers nine different categories with the awards winners tonight – these are as follows.
- The Best Fifa Men’s Player — Luka Modric
- The Best Fifa Women’s Player — Marta of Orlando
- The Best Fifa Men’s Coach — Didier Deschamps
- The Best Fifa Women’s Coach — Reynald Pedros
- The Best Fifa Goalkeeper — Thibaut Courtois
- The Fifa Fair Play Award — Lennart Thy
- The Fifa Puskás Award– Mohamed Salah
- The Fifa Fan Award — Peru supporters
- Fifa Fifpro World11 —
The FIFPRO XI is…
- David De Gea
- Dani Alves
- Raphael Varane
- Sergio Ramos
- Luka Modric
- N’golo Kante
- Eden Hazard
- Lionel Messi
- Kylian Mbappe
- Cristiano Ronaldo
See red carpet photos below:
Ronaldinho goes for a white hat