Witnesses recount how Muslim worshippers were attack near a London mosque

— Many local Muslim worshippers complained that police did not immediately treat the van attack near a London mosque as a terrorist incident

London attack on Muslim worshippers

Ten people were injured when a van drove into a crowd of Muslim worshippers near a mosque in London in the early hours of Monday, and a man who had been taken ill before the attack died at the scene.

One man was pronounced dead at the scene and eight people were taken to hospital. Two others were treated at the scene for minor injuries.

The man who died was already receiving first aid at the scene. Witnesses said they saw him collapse shortly before the attack began.

Amateur video footage showed at least three people on the ground in the aftermath of the attack, with one man receiving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

The horrific incident happened outside the Muslim Welfare House, 100 metres (yards) around the corner from the Finsbury Park Mosque. The mosque was once a notorious hub for radical Islamists that has since become a centre for inter-faith outreach.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan called it an “horrific terrorist attack” and counter-terrorism police are leading the investigation, as Muslim leaders linked the incident to a rise in Islamophobic crime.

Witnesses said a white van struck a crowd of Muslim worshippers who had been attending evening prayers during the holy month of Ramadan and were looking after a man who had collapsed.

Police said they were first called shortly after midnight.

The suspect driving the van is said to be 48-year-old man who was detained by members of the public and then arrested by police on suspicion of attempted murder.

The suspect was white, according to eye witnesses and he has been taken to hospital as a precaution and is due to receive a mental health assessment.

Witness Khalid Amin told BBC television the man was shouting: “I want to kill all Muslims”.

Police said all the casualties were members of the Muslim community.

Many local Muslim worshippers complained that police did not immediately treat the incident as a terrorist attack, saying they would have treated it differently if it had been an Islamist attack.

Police issued an initial statement at 01:03 am (0003 GMT) saying a vehicle had collided with pedestrians.

In a statement at 04:46 am they said the incident was being investigated by counter-terrorism police.

Some people at the scene also complained that police took too long to arrive. One witness told the BBC he held down the suspect for 20 to 30 minutes before police arrived.

But the police said they had responded “instantly” as officers were in the immediate vicinity. They said additional officers arrived within 10 minutes.

Sharing is caring!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.